Friday, April 20, 2012

I’m Not a Poet, and My Feet Don’t Show it! °o° *•._.•* ' *•._.•* °o°

(Haiku: an unrhymed verse form of Japanese origin having three lines containing usually five, seven, and five syllables respectively.)

I am not much of a poet, and to be honest I was never able to follow a lot of poetry-sometimes it’s a bit like Shakespeare to me.  But I have discovered that haiku is a form of poetry that can keep my attention.  It’s poetry in 17 syllables.

While other forms of poetry can go on for pages, haiku is short and compact.  What this does is forces the poet to focus on only those words that mean the most to the poem. For several years, off and on, I have been writing haiku to entertain myself, to encapsulate a feeling or as a means to say “up yours” to the subject of the writing.  It’s a fun, sometimes challenging alternative to straight journal writing.  Generally, I prefer humorous, witty or subjects that reinforce positive morale.  I get just as jaded, or pissed off as the next person, so I can use all the positive reinforcement I can get my hands on. 

I started writing Disney haiku with the grand idea of trying to get a collection published. I don’t really know the first thing about that, so those pursuits never went anywhere, but I still keep the collection going.

There are so many Disney related subjects that I love (all the movie-both animated and live action, the “lands” at Disney, rides, characters, pin trading, parades, etc.), so I keep a list of them going, and when I have a spare half hour or so, I’ll pick one and write a quick haiku.  As I brainstorm the 5 and 7 syllable lines, it usually leads me a couple of haikus about the same subject.  I am posting a few here and plan to post them as a series.  If you love Disney haiku yourself, or even the regular old stuffy poetry type (Disney themed, of course), please feel free to send yours on and I will post them here for all the world to see.  Let’s really start a collection!  (Don’t worry, I’ll give you credit where credit is due).

The five haikus below are ones I’ve written in the past couple of years.  The 6th one is brand new, written just for this blog and YOU!

Main Street U.S.A.
From a time I never knew
The place I miss most

Three grim, grinning ghosts
That I cannot wait to see
-Materialize

Elliot is green
And flies with tiny pink wings
-If you can see him

Disney trading pins
Can I look at your lanyard?
I have a rare one

Winnie and Piglet
Are the cutest versions of
A bear and a swine


… and a new one written just for the “Living a Disney Life” blog:

We are Ken and Mark
Moving to Florida soon
Who wants to join us?



Comments are welcome. Positive feedback encouraged!

Mouseketeer Ken

 _     _
( ).-.( )
 `(   )`
   '-'

No comments:

Post a Comment

comment here, Mouseketeers