Wednesday, November 20, 2013

An Offer on the Table °o°

Last night we got a call from our real estate agent... a cash offer on the house for $4000 less than our asking price of 144 thousand. Now, I don't want to jinx anything, because there is paperwork to complete, inspections to pass, repairs to be made, and any number of loopholes to close up, but if this sale goes through they have asked us to vacate the house by December 16th, exactly 4 weeks from yesterday. It's close to official, but still too early to pack up the toothbrush and deoderant.

Let me rewind a bit, for anyone join catching up recently and haven't read a year's worth of blog postings...



3 years ago Mark and I were talking about the future and where it might lead us. Mark is an Army veteran, having served in Iraq, and was just about to begin life as a full-time student through Culinary School. We first thought about moving to Colorado, but after more discussion it hit us that it was a no-brainer for two like-minded, life-long Disney fantatics should move to be near our favorite thing in the world.. Disney World.

Fast forward three years...




There were tough challenges and obstacles along the way for both of us to face, but Mark officially graduated in September, and we agreed that that would be the time we put the house on the market.  This was the culmination of three years of planning, budgeting for the relocation, socking money away, working over-time, and hard studying to pass difficult classes.

It took far longer to get the house ready that I imagined it would.  Instead of just 3 or 4 weeks, it was 10 weeks of painting, minor repairs, and cleaning but it was finally done (except for some small details), and we listed on November 14th.

We got our first call to show the house early the next morning.  The process of showing a house to prospective buyers is not difficult, but it is time consuming. We have a boisterous chocolate lab, so any time someone wants to see the house, we asked for 1 hour's notice, so that we can stage everything nice and pretty, and take the dog out of the house so they can look around and kick the tires comfortably.

For the last 4 days, we have had 5 showings, so each time we were swiffering floors, wiping down sinks, pulling back curtains, turning on nearly every light in the house, hiding the dog beds under the couch, emptying trash pails, setting up soft background music and lighting nice vanilla cookie scented candles.  I mean to tell you, we are exhausted after all of that, and sometimes, we can't even tell if the buyer was finished or not (we would leave before they arrived, and could not tell if they had come in and left, or had not yet arrived 30 minutes later).

It turns out that the first person to view the house on Friday morning, is the same as the one who came the next Monday, for a second viewing. We had an offer that evening, we accepted their terms and now the house is "on-hold" (in escrow) while we wait.

We had been dreaming for months, even years... you can plan and stratege until you are blue in the face, but it can all change in the blink of a withdrawn sale offer.  Now, we wait for the 10-day inspection period to pass, and we will be able to secure a moving pod.

Next post I will write a little bit about our vision for the future... both living in Florida, near Disney World, and for this blog. I hope you will stay tuned, and will follow along with us.. we want you to join us on the ride!


°o°

Comments are welcome. Positive feedback encouraged!

Don't forget to "like" our Facebook page https://www.facebook.com/LivingADisneyLife?ref=hl so that we can communicate even more great Mouse details with you, and you with us! 

Mouseketeer Ken and Mousekteer Mark
 

8 comments:

  1. Awesome! Keep working towards it. I know how hard it is but I know that at some point you two will get there!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your post. I'm totally engaged! I can feel your anxiety and frustration all at once. I'll be saying a prayer for you and Mark in the hopes that this deal remains firm and that all inspections get passed and that you will be moving to Orlando (preferably the Lake Buena Vista area.. ;) hehe) very soon. I'll be a 2.5 hr away new neighbor as we reside in Cape Coral, FL but I look fwd to following along the journey of another fellow Disney Addict and Disney Blogger. Good Luck! ;) ºoº

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you Becca, I really appreciate your support. Sometimes time is moving in slow motion, sometimes it's warp speed!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just started reading this, and I am eager to hear how this works out for you! I, too, would love to pack it all in and head south to the Mouse. Hoping to retire in 7 years, so a bit of a wait for me, but there's light at the end of this tunnel! Hoping your sale closes without a hitch so you can be on your magical way!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I look forward to reading your blog. We lived in Orlando for 9 years and I was a cm for almost 8 years. It was great but really hard work sometime. I worked at the Art of Disney in Downtown Disney in Merchantainment. I didn't get paid much, but the perks were amazing. Good luck with the sale of your house and moving. It will be worth it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Can't wait to read what happens next and follow your journey - you are living my dream!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I can't wait to hear what happens next!!! I am so excited for you guys!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am a full time culinary student, but I live in FL. It is my dream to live in and work in Orlando, maybe even for Disney! Though I'm not 100% because it may take away the magic for me. Good luck on your journey!

    ReplyDelete

comment here, Mouseketeers